Monday, March 18, 2019

Your Tween or Teen Doesn't Like to Read?

Hello parents and friends,
Lately I have been hearing from several patrons that their child just isn't interested in reading. This is hard for me to hear, especially since as a young girl, I often had my nose in a book. Sometimes it was a book, I was not supposed to be reading. My older sister Jacque often had a Harlequinn romance novel or the title, "Elvis and Me," on her nightstand and the ever curious child, I would take a look.
My mom never discouraged this completely, she would just say... "You're too young to read that book." Parents, you can make the judgement call on this, but be aware... wouldn't you rather have then see it in a book then actual live it or watch it on television?
Here are a few tips for those of you with teens/tweens who do not like to read:

1. Ask your child what movies they like and select a book similar to this movie. You can also select the movie adaptation of a book they are wanting to see.

2. Have the child choose their own books. Pick four or five books that you know are their reading level and let them have at it. Insisting that they must choose one.

3. Take your child to a local bookstore. Make a day of it! Barnes and Noble and other small chain bookstores often have a small cafe inside. Snack on a cookie or sip on a fresh lemonade while browsing for books.

4. Ask your friendly librarian!

5. Comment on this post for some suggestions.

Here are some of my favorites for reluctant readers of all ages: 

1. Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick; Grades 4-7

2. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous; Grades 9-12 * Parental advisement on this one for content! 

3. I, Funny by Patterson; Grades 4-8th

4. If I Were You by Leslie Margolis; Grades 5-6th.

5. And of course the tried and true, Captain Underpants, Rainbow Magic Fairies, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
COMMENT BELOW FOR IDEAS AND THOUGHTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favorite books from the past